[Nut-upsuser] Shutdown time configuration

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Tue Dec 17 20:45:23 GMT 2019

On 2019-12-17 06:18, Roger Price wrote:

> I definitely need to check that the vile daemon is present and running.
>
> In upsmon.conf there are no NOTIFYFLAG declarations, especially for events
> ONBATT and LOWBATT.  When ONBATT and LOWBATT occur nothing will happen. There
> are no NOTIFYMSG declarations and in particular no messages for the ONBATT and
> LOWBATT events.
>
> If you add NOTIFYFLAG and NOTIFYMSG declarations to upsmon.conf, you should get
> a better idea of what is happening.
>
> Additionally, in upsmon.conf there is no NOTIFYCMD declaration which would call
> upssched.conf. So the only system shutdown criterion will be on LB status.

OK, so I definitely missed configuration steps and, apparently, forgot
that I'd never finished.  I will have to look over everything again.

Also, looking at my own monitoring graphs of what happened around the
outage, it looks as though runtime on my UPS is strangely non-linear
with respect to load — i.e, dropping to my critical-systems-only load
which is about 40% of my normal total load (which is to say, slightly
less than 20% of UPS capacity vs. about 45%) does not appear to have
extended runtime nearly as much as expected.  It more than doubled the
UPS's PROJECTED runtime according to the UPS, but not the *actual*
runtime.  Also, it looks from my graphs as though the UPS was claiming
10% capacity when it shut off, but 80% when the power came back on.

There are some very odd things going on here that I need to get to the
bottom of.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications