[Nut-upsuser] Turn on UPS via USB

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 14:08:08 GMT 2019

On Jan 1, 2019, at 7:06 PM, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jan 2019, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
>
>> Our server has 2 UPS on 2 PSUs.  At 8am, someone unplugged one UPS.  At
>> 8:10, they plugged it back in, but turned off the load - presumably to stop
>> the beeping.
>> So the system is still up on 1 PSU, and can talk to both UPS.  Can't I turn
>> on the load via USB?
>
> None of the supported commands seem to do the job.
>
> # upscmd -l aixapc
> Instant commands supported on UPS [aixapc]:
>
> beeper.disable - Disable the UPS beeper
> beeper.enable - Enable the UPS beeper
> beeper.mute - Temporarily mute the UPS beeper
> beeper.off - Obsolete (use beeper.disable or beeper.mute)
> beeper.on - Obsolete (use beeper.enable)
> load.off - Turn off the load immediately
> load.off.delay - Turn off the load with a delay (seconds)
> shutdown.reboot - Shut down the load briefly while rebooting the UPS

Hi Stuart,

I still haven't had a chance to make sense of all the logs from related reports, but there are at least two possibilities here:

1) NUT is missing a step (or bailing early) for multi-step commands like shutdowns. I would think that shutdown.reboot should work, though I have not tried it from a load-off state.

2) This may be one of the Modbus/Multilink devices, where the HID PDC interface (that usbhid-ups uses) is a subset of the full command set. Yours does show ups.load, but none of the output voltages.

I can take a look at the debug logs if you want, though given the lack of progress on similar cases, I'm not optimistic that there is a simple fix. It's the usual thing of stopping the NUT services, starting the driver with "-DDD", and redirecting output to a log file. In your case, you can probably stop it after 5-10 seconds, since the command dump happens early (and we're not concerned about the polling loop).

Given that we don't have a Back-UPS NS in the compatibility list, and that you have two of the three categories of information on the list already, would you mind if we added this to the DDL? The output of upsrw would be useful for completeness. Also, if you know any of the values from upsc are incorrect, we can note that. For instance, I'm assuming that "battery.date" is incorrect, and the real dates are under "battery.mfr.date" and "ups.mfr.date". Other reports: http://new.networkupstools.org/ddl/APC/