[Nut-upsuser] Just an interesting data point

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Sun Jan 27 19:57:24 GMT 2019

On 1/27/19 2:36 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> The HCL seems to imply that this UPS should *also* be supported by the
> powerpanel driver.  However, I see from the documentation that the
> powerpanel driver is a lot of best-effort because cyberpower is
> uncommunicative about details of the protocol, and also I'm not seeing
> in the documentation of the powerpanel driver what type of connection it
> expects.  Can anyone fill in that detail for me?  I'd like to give it a try.

Actually, never mind, on re-examining the documentation I figured out
it's serial.  I gave it a try and it detected the UPS, but failed to
establish communication:

minbar:root:~:4 # /lib64/nut/powerpanel -a backstop-pp
Network UPS Tools - CyberPower text/binary protocol UPS driver 0.27 (2.7.4)
Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly.

CyberPower UPS with text protocol on /dev/ttyS0 detected
Communications with UPS lost: Status read failed!

According to
https://networkupstools.org/ddl/Cyber_Power_Systems/PR3000E.html, at
least the PR3000E is known to work with powerpanel, but apparently I'm
missing something.  Anyone have any hints to offer here?

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net