[Nut-upsuser] How to setup the NUT client on Windows?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 01:26:56 GMT 2019

On Nov 12, 2019, at 6:16 PM, planet.et at gmail.com wrote:

> But... what you are basically saying is that this Windows port in 2019
> is still not usable, still has "major issues" so there's not point
> trying to install it and write a documentation about how-to install
> it?

Not really. I'm approaching this from a code maintenance standpoint. I actually said "serious problems with the branch that made it unmergeable", and I am referring to the history on both the SVN branch, and the resulting Git branch. More info: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/5#issuecomment-217636422

The Windows port mentioned on the NUT download page is based on NUT v2.6.5, which is quite a few versions behind v2.7.4. We are stretched thin as it is on trying to support v2.7.x. If you would like to maintain a wiki page for documentation on the v2.6.5 branch, feel free to use https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/wiki .

I don't have a Windows system to test, but I understand other people have made it work in certain cases (though not out of the box): https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/329  Another complaint is that it's 32-bit only.

I guess I'm just trying to be honest about the state of that code. I'm more than happy to help work through setup and bug triage of current versions of NUT on POSIX systems. We don't have the resources (active Windows developers and build hardware/software) to provide the same sort of support on Windows.