[Nut-upsuser] How to setup the NUT client on Windows?

planet.et at gmail.com planet.et at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 23:30:43 GMT 2019

Hi,

I have an Eaton 5SC UPS with only 1 USB communication port, but... I
need 3 devices to safely switch off in case of power failure, 2
Synology NAS and 1 PC under Windows 7 (soon 10)!
So I've decided to connect the UPS to the main NAS (via the USB
cable), enabled the "Network UPS server" on the NAS, entered the other
NAS and PC IP addresses to let them receive NUT messages in case of
power failure and now, I need to install a NUT client on the PC.

Problem: I can't find any kind of documentation neither official, not
from users on blogs or videos.

We can find some for WinNUT. This client has a GUI and looks easy to
install and configure.
But it's written on networkupstools.org that "WinNUT is a partial port
of the client side..." and it's "currently being replaced by a full
port to Windows, part of the official NUT distribution."...
https://networkupstools.org/projects.html#_a_href_http_csociety_ecn_purdue_edu_delpha_winnut_winnut_a

WinNUT is also not maintained any more, the last version is from Feb. 2011...
https://code.google.com/archive/p/winnut/downloads

So now regarding the official Windows complete port. I've downloaded
the .msi and installed it but there's absolutely no settings, neither
during the installation, nor when running "Start service" and all the
documentation provided (FAQ, Man pages, User manual) looks not related
to the Windows version but to Linux versions. There's not a single
line regarding the Windows version.

So my question is simple: how do we setup a NUT client on Windows?
Is there any documentation anywhere?
When it's said the complete port replaces WinNUT, does it also has a GUI?

Thanks for your help!

Emmanuel