[Nut-upsuser] Synology NAS is shutting down Ubuntu servers after very brief power outage (fwd)

Larry Fahnoe fahnoe at fahnoetech.com
Tue Aug 11 12:31:44 BST 2020

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:46 AM Roger Price <roger at rogerprice.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Aug 2020, Todd Benivegna wrote:
>
> > synoups: https://hastebin.com/xexafofiha.bash
>
> Wow! What a mess.  It looks as if Synology wanted to write their own
> "NUT", but
> decided it would be easier to put their ideas in a script when they saw
> they
> could use upssched.conf to call it.  NUT intends such a script for timer
> management.  Synology use it for general system management.

Roger's comment confirms my suspicion of NUT as provided by Synology. They
make a great NAS product, but then they bolt on all manner of other things.
In my opinion, best to leave the NAS as an appliance configured and managed
by their GUI tools, and let it just be a NUT client rather than trying to
configure it to be the NUT server. I use and find the RaspberryPi's to be
very capable NUT servers with the rest of my systems (including my Synology
NAS) as NUT clients. Much simpler to manage that way as you have complete
control over a fairly current NUT as provided by Raspbian (a Debian
derivative). The only kink I've run into is that the Synology NAS as a NUT
client provides no means of changing the NUT credentials, so you have to
use default credentials for NUT (another reason to make sure NUT is on a
protected network).

--Larry

--
Larry Fahnoe, Fahnoe Technology Consulting, fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com
           Minneapolis, Minnesota       www.FahnoeTech.com