[Nut-upsuser] Synology NAS is shutting down Ubuntu servers after very brief power outage (fwd)

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Fri Aug 14 08:37:41 BST 2020

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020, Todd Benivegna wrote:

> So I finally got a test in after I changed my RPi to the master and everything
> else (including my Synology) to slaves.  Before I did that though, I timed the
> shutdown of my Synology since it is the slowest slave to shutdown.  It took 40
> seconds to shutdown, so I changed HOSTSYNC in upsmon.conf on the master
> (“Proton”) to 60.  I then did a test ("sudo upsmon -c fsd”). The slaves
> shutdown, then eventually the master, but the Synology never powered down and
> the UPS powered off which cut the power to it while it was still on.

In Synology's upsmon.conf, they have SHUTDOWNCMD "".  Perhaps for correct slave
operation this should be SHUTDOWNCMD "shutdown -h +0" or maybe one of the
variants which also displays the UPS status and charge such as

  SHUTDOWNCMD "logger -t upsmon.conf \"UPS status at shutdown [$( upsc <myups> ups.status )]:$( upsc <myups> battery.charge )\" ; /sbin/shutdown -h +0"

Roger