[Nut-upsuser] nut on armhf, r-pi4b IOW

Larry Fahnoe fahnoe at fahnoetech.com
Tue Jan 7 15:12:02 GMT 2020

On my raspbian buster RPi3's that run nut, no problems with the stock nut
packages provided so I wouldn't expect problems with your RPi4 once you get
the cable and configs sorted out. I use the RPi3's as nut-servers to
monitor and manage my Tripp-Lite UPS systems, the other local systems run
nut-client and communicate with the RPi.

--Larry

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 6:28 AM Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> Does nut build on an r-pi4b?
>
> I have an r-pi4b running one of my cnc machines and the power bump
> performance due to the size of its psu and the fairly rapid start time
> of my standby generator, does not allow a full powerdown restart to take
> place, leaving the pi in a crashed state.
>
> I've purchased a factory refurbed cyberpower ups rated at 650 WA which I
> intend to figure out a way to hang it on the machine to power the pi
> only, which has a 25 watt 5 volt psu running it.  With no connection to
> the pi other that putting cyberpower in the line cords path, it should
> run the pi for 30 minutes, and the standby will generally start in
> around 5 secs.  So the problem should be solved.
>
> But it would be nice to be able to monitor it.  So, can nut be built to
> run on an armhf platform? Mmmm, possibly silly Q, its available in the
> raspbian buster repo's. So I had apt install it.
>
> But the installer failed to start it, not surprising because its not been
> configured yet nor has whatever cable cyberpower needs been connected.
> The apt install log:
> pi at rpi4:/media/pi/workspace/rpi4-kernel $ sudo apt install nut
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following additional packages will be installed:
>   libupsclient4 nut-client nut-server
> Suggested packages:
>   nut-monitor nut-cgi nut-ipmi nut-snmp nut-xml
>   libupsclient4 nut nut-client nut-server
> 0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
> Need to get 1,358 kB of archives.
> After this operation, 4,902 kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
> Get:1 http://mirror.pit.teraswitch.com/raspbian/raspbian buster/main
> armhf libupsclient4 armhf 2.7.4-8 [180 kB]
> Get:2 http://mirror.pit.teraswitch.com/raspbian/raspbian buster/main
> armhf nut-client armhf 2.7.4-8 [243 kB]
> Get:3 http://mirror.pit.teraswitch.com/raspbian/raspbian buster/main
> armhf nut-server armhf 2.7.4-8 [690 kB]
> Get:4 http://mirror.pit.teraswitch.com/raspbian/raspbian buster/main
> armhf nut all 2.7.4-8 [245 kB]
> Fetched 1,358 kB in 3s (515 kB/s)
> Selecting previously unselected package libupsclient4:armhf.
> (Reading database ... 261019 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to unpack .../libupsclient4_2.7.4-8_armhf.deb ...
> Unpacking libupsclient4:armhf (2.7.4-8) ...
> Selecting previously unselected package nut-client.
> Preparing to unpack .../nut-client_2.7.4-8_armhf.deb ...
> Unpacking nut-client (2.7.4-8) ...
> Selecting previously unselected package nut-server.
> Preparing to unpack .../nut-server_2.7.4-8_armhf.deb ...
> Unpacking nut-server (2.7.4-8) ...
> Selecting previously unselected package nut.
> Preparing to unpack .../archives/nut_2.7.4-8_all.deb ...
> Unpacking nut (2.7.4-8) ...
> Setting up libupsclient4:armhf (2.7.4-8) ...
> Setting up nut-client (2.7.4-8) ...
> [...]

Larry Fahnoe, Fahnoe Technology Consulting, fahnoe at FahnoeTech.com
           Minneapolis, Minnesota       www.FahnoeTech.com