[Nut-upsuser] CentOS 8 w/gnome and NUT

Ben Kamen ben at benkamen.net
Sun Mar 29 09:22:15 BST 2020

On 3/28/20 4:41 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2020, at 11:51 PM, Ben Kamen <ben at benkamen.net> wrote:
>> I'm playing with a new CentOS 8 with a cyperpower OR500 (a smaller sibling to the OR700) plugged in via USB.
>>
>> GNOME sees the UPS... but NUT does not (even if I shut down gnome).
>>
>>> [root at delp ups]# upsdrvctl start
>>> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.7.4
>>> Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.41 (2.7.4)
>>> USB communication driver 0.33
>>> No matching HID UPS found
>>> Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
>>
>> Annoyingly, the USB listeing is for a PR1500 even though it really IS an OR500

No kidding. I noticed that too.

>>> [root at delp ups]# lsusb -d 0764:0601 -v
>>>
>>> Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0764:0601 Cyber Power System, Inc. PR1500LCDRT2U UPS
> ^ that is based on the usb.ids database, not what the UPS returns. All of the CPS UPSes seem to be either 0501 or 0601.
>
>>>    iProduct                1 UPS OR500
> ^ this model string (the part after "1") comes from the UPS itself.

Yep - I realize all this - I just throught I'd supply it in case any responder wanted to see it.

>> What else can I provide to help debug this?
>>
>> And -- can gnome and NUT access the UPS at the same time or do I need to disable Gnome somehow?
> Short answer, no, they can't easily share.
>
> The NUT drivers will attempt to grab the driver away from other kernel drivers or userspace programs if it has permission to open the device node, but the "No matching HID UPS" error is often caused by permissions issues. Was the UPS plugged in to the USB port before you installed NUT? If so, try unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable. The /dev node (it will change, but using your previous lsusb output, something like /dev/bus/usb/006/002) should allow the NUT system user to have read/write access, frequently through the group permission bits.
>
> Open to suggestions from others about the Gnome side, though maybe the permissions part is sufficient.

I try those things. I didn't think Gnome and NUT played together. (I don't remember it every being that way -- but I figured I'd ask in case something changed with RedHat's latest.)

Thanks for the reply Charles. I'll see what else I can do with this UPS that might allow NUT to be a netserver without USB. (There is a SNMP card installed)

Cheers,

  -Ben