[Nut-upsuser] Can't get CyberPower UPS to work with Raspberry Pi 4

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 13:01:31 GMT 2020

On Oct 25, 2020, at 11:52 AM, Robert Stocker <kneadtoknow at gmail.com> wrote:

> Init SSL without certificate database
> battery.charge: 100
> battery.charge.low: 10
> battery.charge.warning: 20
> battery.mfr.date: CPS
> battery.runtime: 15690
> battery.runtime.low: 300
> battery.type: PbAcid
> battery.voltage: 24.0
> battery.voltage.nominal: 24

I don't have the citation handy, but I think another user reported that the battery.voltage returned by the UPS is a constant 24.0 V, regardless of the actual battery voltage.

> device.mfr: CPS
> device.model: CST135XLU
> device.serial: CR7EO2003120
> device.type: ups
> driver.name: usbhid-ups
> driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
> driver.parameter.pollinterval: 5
> driver.parameter.port: auto
> driver.parameter.synchronous: no
> driver.version: 2.7.4
> driver.version.data: CyberPower HID 0.4
> driver.version.internal: 0.41
> input.voltage: 121.0
> input.voltage.nominal: 120
> output.voltage: 137.0

Given the description on the product page you sent earlier, the UPS is likely not providing 137.0 V, but is bypassing the transformer since the power is good.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/battery-backup/cst135xlu/

This is another known CyberPower issue, and fixing it properly requires making some changes deep in the core USB HID code (that would require a lot of testing on other vendors' equipment) for what is basically a cosmetic issue:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/439

> ups.beeper.status: disabled
> ups.delay.shutdown: 20
> ups.delay.start: 30

For these delays, note there seems to be an issue with ondelay/ups.delay.start:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/625

and rounding of the timers down to the next lower minute:

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/f3a40e4595c1f18368f89b9af338bfe52dd06846/docs/man/usbhid-ups.txt#L53-L78

so basically I'd recommend testing shutdown extensively.