[Nut-upsuser] New stable release of NUT after 2.7.4?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Jan 10 15:24:59 GMT 2021

On January 10, 2021 1:29:31 PM UTC, Dan Langille via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net> wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 10, 2021, at 8:12 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:
>> On January 10, 2021 11:12:48 AM UTC, Victor Hooi via Nut-upsuser
>> <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net> wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >The last release of NUT seems to be 2.7.4, from 2016.
>> >
>> >However, from the Github, there does seem to be a lot of activity,
>and
>> >know Jim recently took on maintainership.
>> >
>> >Just wondering - are there plans to cut a new stable release of NUT
>> >anytime
>> >soon?
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Victor
>>
>> Yes there are; my personal priorities were to first reduce or remove
>> warnings from modern linters (clang-9 started out with about 2000
>> cases, now down to ~1000) and integrate some or all of the libusb-1.0
>
>> support proposed quite a while ago now (with linter making sure this
>> does not add much mess) and a few other PRs.
>
>Is there a list of those 1000 warnings? A way for folks to find them?
>
>This might be an easy way for people to contribute by providing
>patches.
>
>--
>  Dan Langille
>  dan at langille.org

Take a look at the fightwarn branch builds on Travis CI, logs of red ones with GNU C standards are stuff to fix :) Strict C seems like an unachievable goal, at least not quickly.

The docs/developers.txt should now document how to use ci_build.sh locally for similar effect. Note that it is clang-9 (and newer I suppose) that complains sufficiently; gcc-10 is suspiciously quiet for example.

The majority of remaining issues are simple mismatches of int sizes on different platforms and/or signedness, and often fixes to warnings introduced by earlier fixes, sometimes on older less capable compilers or OSes with different declarations :)

One that I'd welcome help with is a const char * mismatch that starts at some 3 warnings now but opened a bigger can of worms when I tried to rectify it.

Jim

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android