[Nut-upsuser] confusion about shutdown

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Jan 6 13:40:47 GMT 2023

On 1/5/23 3:04 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/1762
> <https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/1762> (and maybe some of
> other recent PRs) updated quite a bit here and there, including a
> configure-time option for default POWERDOWNFLAG value (using legacy
> default still).
>
> Distros now have easier time to put it into a tmpfs of their choice that
> they know will remain mounted.

Thanks - that is helpful.

In general, OS shutdown is tricky business before we add in killpower,
and with killpower with no delay it is almost impossibly tricky.   I'd
be a bit scared of assuming ramdisks are still there.

It looks like the FreeBSD port assumes offdelay is long enough (and that
the UPS will have an offdelay).  It may be that essentially all units
really do have a delay, and this is ok.

In NetBSD, ramdisks w/o device nodes are unmounted just before swap is
deconfigured, which is before the place where critical filesystems would
be made ro.

So I'll have a look at this file being removed on upsd startup, or in
our rc.d scripts for now.