[Nut-upsuser] Monitoring a remote UPS

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Jun 9 14:34:15 BST 2023

Nichole Kaligian via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net>
writes:

> Every guide I'm finding is connecting their NUT server to the UPS directly.
> Is there no option to monitor a network-attached UPS? On its IP or
> hostname? This was my first assumption when looking at a product called
> 'Network UPS Tools', but it seems I'm misunderstanding? Thanks for any
> advice you can give me.

Others pointed you to the compatibility guide and net-snmp and that is
good advice.

Network in Network UPS Tools to me means that you can have one computer
monitor a UPS and have other computers (that are plugged in also) do
controlled shutdown.

While NUT does support SNMP, the scope is "any UPS that has a way to
report status, that anybody has figured out and made to work".  A lot of
them are serial and USB, but there is SNMP.