[Nut-upsuser] NUT and Eaton UPS produce a lot of error messages

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 11:03:29 GMT 2024

Well, at least per issue tracker, they can be finicky especially regarding
reconnects (in many models, the USB controller tends to fall into
power-saving at the wrong times, so polling rates should be increased).
More on the Wiki and in github search/labels :)

As for Eatons, I've had experience with many enterprise and some
home-oriented models (worked there for a while), and can't point to any
particular "systemic" flaws of the brand. Individual devices of course
could be randomly damaged in shop/transport/storage/..., but that's about
it.

In this thread I haven't yet seen one clue or report that would be about
the actual UPS or its driver, or a dmesg dump about re-connections, if any
- so just have no founded opinion if the power device is or is not at any
fault. Likewise, I don't think I've seen any details about the fileserver's
hardware (e.g. Raspberry Pi's are often mentioned in issues nowadays, no
idea if that points to inherent issues of their hardware or just to their
popularity and higher chance-to-encounter in tinkering, though). All
bread-crumbs so far were about the data server (nut-server/upsd) and the
client (upsmon).

Jim