[Piuparts-devel] MBF for obsolete conffiles - help needed

Herbert Fortes terberh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 17:40:27 BST 2019

On 4/4/19 5:59 AM, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> The bug triggering this was #925353, an obsolete /etc/logrotate.d/lava-server-uwsgi-log
>
> There are only three packages having obsolete logrotate.d snippets
> among their obsolete conffiles:
>
> stretch2buster/main/pass/lava-server_2019.01-5.log:  OBSOLETE CONFFILE /etc/logrotate.d/lava-scheduler-log REGISTERED BY lava-server (MISSING)
> stretch2buster/main/pass/libvirt-daemon-system_5.0.0-1.log.gz:  OBSOLETE CONFFILE /etc/logrotate.d/libvirtd.uml REGISTERED BY libvirt-daemon-system
> stretch2buster/main/pass/srptools_22.1-1.log:  OBSOLETE CONFFILE /etc/logrotate.d/srp_daemon REGISTERED BY srptools
>
> Maybe we should get them handled first :-)
>
> The (MISSING) indicates that the obsolete file was deleted in postinst,
> so dpkg still knows about it. Using dpkg-maintscript-helper rm_conffile
> would have caused dpkg to forget about it since it would be moved aside
> in the preinst.
>
> In total we have about 687 obsolete conffiles in 300 packages.
> I'm attaching the full list.
> The ones with "OWNER CHANGED TO" are probably OK and don't need to be
> fixed.

The new template version for a review. For 'srptools' Debian package:

# start
To: submit at bugs.debian.org
Subject: obsolete conffiles (policy 10.7.3):

Package:
Version:
Severity: important
User: debian-qa at lists.debian.org
Usertags: piuparts

Hi,

during a test with piuparts I noticed your package has obsolete
conffiles.

To see the policy statement,
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#behavior

10.7.3: "[...] Obsolete configuration files without local changes
should be removed by the package during upgrade.[11]"

[11] The dpkg-maintscript-helper tool, available from the dpkg
package, can help for this task.

The debian/srptools.maintscript file should look like this:

rm_conffile /etc/logrotate.d/srp_daemon 22.1-2~

Please read the manpage for details.

Attached you will find a compressed log file. To find the line
in the log file look for "OBSOLETE CONFFILE". Here are the line(s)
in stretch2buster/main/pass/srptools_22.1-1.log:

OBSOLETE CONFFILE /etc/logrotate.d/srp_daemon REGISTERED BY srptools

See also https://wiki.debian.org/DpkgConffileHandling

There may be false positives, e.g. if a conffile was converted
to a maintainer script managed configuration file.

cheers,
# end

About the " the prior-version argument - that's what people frequently do wrong.":

It is a stretch 2 buster. The versions in Debian for srptools:

stable-bpo:  16.0-1~bpo9+1
testing:  22.1-1
unstable:  22.1-1

I put '22.1-2~'.