[Pki-clean-room-devel] Contributing docs and translation

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Sat Oct 15 14:20:20 UTC 2016

On 15/10/16 15:49, Stephan Beck wrote:
> Hi list members, hi Daniel,
>
> I'm part of the gnupg and the Debian community, but, unfortunately,
> I am not one of the mentors you asked for on the gnupg-user list,
> but rather a sysadmin interested in privacy & cryptography &
> security issues (but no programmer, and with fairly limited
> scripting skills), who had been working as a professional
> translator, and holds a certificate in Technical Documentation,
> being part of the Debian community since 2012. I usually work with
> an OpenPGP smartcard (USB stick with integrated card reader) and
> have gone through this very process of generating keys in a clean
> room environment using a Live-CD (but it wasn't the Debian Live-CD)
> and the FSFE's guidelines, and would enjoy contributing to the
> documentation work (writing/translating strings and documents to
> be supplied with the Clean Room DVD), as well as contributing in
> supplying its German translation (or part of it if there are more
> people).
>
> Please let me know if this kind of contribution fits into your
> project.

This does help a lot.  Many people don't have the experience of using
a smart card, for example, so that means you can provide some insight
into practical issues.

As you can see from the wiki[1], I have been trying to document a
workflow, but it is not quite complete.  Even if you don't know how to
write a program to implement the workflow, what do you think about the
steps I've outlined?

Another related topic is the way that we format and label the
filesystems used for private keys and for transporting keys, the wiki
also mentions that but it would be good to make a more rigid
specification.  The scripts I already created[2] simply use a volume
label to distinguish which devices contain the private master key.

Before creating a full user interface, it will also be necessary to
create some more helper scripts, like those I already created, for
doing low-level tasks, e.g. managing the filesystems.  If you are
familiar with bash or Python scripting you are very welcome to
contribute code like that too.

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://wiki.debian.org/OpenPGP/CleanRoomLiveEnvironment#Workflow