[Pki-clean-room-devel] getting started on cleanroom

Elizabeth Ferdman gnudevliz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 08:11:15 UTC 2016

Hello Ana, Daniel, Jonathan, Daniel G.,

I'm trying to prepare so I'm ready to go once the internship starts.
Today I looked at some whiptail example scripts and those seem really
easy to get started with[1]. I also looked over the workflow and started
with some easy stuff.

Here's what Daniel asked me to put for the outline:

month 1: developing helper scripts to help work in the clean room
month 2: improving boot/startup process
month 3: begin developing a user interface

I'm wondering if I should start integrating the scripts with the
TUI from the beginning rather than at the very end? I think it's just
easier for me to think of it that way. That way I can complete an entire
feature, like "first-time key gen" and it can be ready to go.

I'm attaching two helper scripts I came up with today.

In order to integrate the gpg2 --gen-key command with the TUI, I want to
just gather some inputs from the user-- name, email, passphrase, and
just give them some defaults to accept, put that in a file (see
gen-key-script) and run gpg2 --batch --gen-key gen-key-script[2]. I
haven't done the whiptail script yet that's just the plan.
Not sure how to create subkeys non-interactively because I don't think
you can do --batch with --edit-key.

The second file is just the helper for creating gpg.conf.

Please let me know if you have any feedback at this early
stage. And I haven't met Daniel G. yet. What email should I use
for communicating with him? Also should I just email the mailing list
+ Ana from now on instead of cc'ing everyone?

Sincerely,
Liz

1. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bash_Shell_Scripting/Whiptail
2. https://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg-devel/Unattended-GPG-key-generation.html