[Python-apps-team] pkpgcounter debian package

Michael Pardee michael.pardee at open-sense.com
Fri Feb 8 18:11:43 GMT 2019

OK, it seems that python-imaging is just a compatibility layer that is no
longer required.   python-imaging depended on python-pil which pkpgcounter
does require but did not explicitly list as a dependency, so the dependency
should just be changed from python-imaging to python-pil.

from the python-imaging description:
PIL used to provide a PIL.pth file which allowed you to `import Image` but
this is deprecated. Use `from PIL import Image` now, or install this
compatibility package to temporarily get the old behavior back

pkpgcounter already uses "from PIL import Image" , there are no instances
of 'import image' anywhere in it

pkpgcounter includes a test suite in /usr/share/doc/pkpgcounter/examples ,
and while all of the tests do not pass the results are identical running in
debian stretch with python-imaging and python-pil installed and in debian
buster with just python-pil installed.

If there is anything else I can do to help resolve this please let me know.

Thanks,
Michael Pardee
Open Sense Solutions LLC
http://open-sense.com