[Python-modules-team] Packaging Django v1.8 for Sid?

Neil Williams codehelp at debian.org
Wed Nov 9 08:47:06 UTC 2016

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 22:00:24 +0000
Turbo Fredriksson <turbo at bayour.com> wrote:

> On 8 Nov 2016, at 10:43, Neil Williams <codehelp at debian.org> wrote:
>
> > As I said, I don't see python-django1.8 being an option for
> > unstable at this time.
>
> Without that, we won’t have a (properly) working Openstack GUI in
> stretch :(.
>
> It’s still going to be there, installable and everything, but it
> won’t work correctly. _______________________________________________

There is still time to get the 1.10 work completed and uploaded into
Stretch. If that fails, then the only solution is to wait until after
the Stretch release is complete and stretch-backports is opened. This
will need to be documented somewhere at your end. At this stage, all
your efforts need to be on fixing the code to work with django 1.10.

If the package really won't work on stretch with django1.10 once the
freeze starts in January, it is best to file an RC bug to prevent just
that one package being in Stretch, then the fixed version can be
delivered via stretch-backports. (The likelihood is that if you don't
file it, someone trying to use the package will file it.)

Packages depending on django in stretch must work with 1.10 or be
removed from Stretch (dependencies will remain but reverse dependencies
cannot).

--

Neil Williams