[Python-modules-team] python-xlib_0.26-1_source.changes ACCEPTED into unstable

Scott Kitterman debian at kitterman.com
Sat Mar 21 19:14:20 GMT 2020

On Saturday, March 21, 2020 3:02:27 PM EDT Andrej Shadura wrote:
> Hi,

> > > Because it’s simpler and better as it guarantees the tarballs are bit
> > > to bit identical, which pristine-tar so often fails to do. There was
> > > no pristine-tar or pristine-lfs information for earlier uploads.
> >
> > but our team policy requires to use pristine-tar:
> > https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/blob/master/poli
> > cy.rst
> >
> > please adjust, so that we can all use the same tools and procedures.
>
> I suggest we rather change the policy since at the moment this point
> lacks any rationale and isn’t providing any benefit since the
> pristine-tar data are only useful for minor updates of the package
> (e.g. when the upstream source hasn’t changed) and pristine-tar is
> known to be a huge hack and fail to provide correct tarballs,
> especially when xz is used.

When you joined the team, you agreed to follow the team policies.  Please do
so.

The way to get the policy changed is not to ignore it and then get aggressive
when called on it.

Personally, I use the pristine-tar branch routinely (I used it multiple times
just yesterday) and I've never had a problem with it.  Personally, while I
know it's a hack, it's a working hack.

Please do as you've been asked and then we can have a nice conversation about
if we should change the way the team works.

Scott K