[Raspbian-devel] Future plans for Raspbian in relation to Debian?

Andrei POPESCU andreimpopescu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 11:47:29 UTC 2012

Hello,

I would be interested about what the future plans for Raspbian are. As
far as I understand (and hope) Raspbian is supposed to follow Debian as
close as possible. However, Debian is quite a complex beast and I'm not
sure what resources (both hardware and human) are available.

Since I'm not a coder/packager, but I'm quite familiar with Debian
processes I think I might be able to help, for example by nicely asking
maintainers to create backports of their packages where the backport
would benefit Raspbian[1], or even maintain specific build targets[2]
for Raspian.

[1] support for Raspberry Pi in libCEC was introduced only in later
versions
[2] a note in xbmc's README.Debian looks quite encouraging that the
maintainer would be interested in such a target.

What do you think?

Kind regards,
Andrei