[Raspbian-devel] Network config tools ?

Andrei POPESCU andreimpopescu at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 15:58:41 UTC 2012

On Du, 09 sep 12, 07:40:25, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> I may have been spoiled with the Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia set of config tools
> regrouped in MCC, but after installing Raspbian on a RaspberryPi, I find
> myself completely clueless when it come to the network configuration tools: I
> can find nothing in the System Tools menu item, nothing under Internet.
>
> Where are the Debian network config tools ?
>
> Or are the users supposed to configure all through the CLI ?

Hi Ron,

Debian has ifupdown which is configured mainly through the file
/etc/network/interfaces. If you want/need GUI tools you can use either
wicd or Network Manager.

For a rather static configuration I prefer ifupdown: you write the
config once and then forget about it.

For something more dynamic (like a laptop using several wired/wireless
networks) I prefer Network Manager because additionally to wicd it also
supports 3G sticks and nm-applet (package network-manager-gnome) is
better than wicd-gtk.

Wicd however has a nicer text interface in my opinion (wicd-curses).

Hope this helps,
Andrei