[Raspbian-devel] anyone want to take a look at chromium 22

Florian Will florian.will at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 09:36:06 UTC 2012

Hi peter,

> I notice chromium 22 is now in sid and should hopefully be in wheezy
> soon, anyone fancy taking a look and figuring out what changes to the
> package are needed for raspbian?

I expect chromium 22 to migrate to wheezy today. However, I am very busy
with university things right now, and will be unable to take a closer
look until at least mid-November. I'll add some information to this post
in case anyone wants to give it a try.

If I have been following development correctly, this version should
include the v8 patch required for previous raspbian versions. It might
be enough to just change the gyp defines (armv7, arm_fpu, etc) for armhf
in debian/rules, see my previous patch for chromium 21 from early
september on this list.

If the build fails due to very strange ("Invalid Argument") gold linking
errors, that's a gold bug where a wrong error message is shown. The
recently released binutils 2.23 should include a proper error message
and might shed some light on the actual issue, but it's not in debian
yet (maybe it's a problem with my qemu setup and not actually a problem
when building on the build servers). For previous chromium packages, I
simply removed the binutils-gold build-dep to make it work.

Cheers, and if anyone attempts to make it work, good luck :)
Florian