[Raspbian-devel] Raspberry Graphical Output without expensive H/W setup..

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 13:23:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Arunprasad Rajkumar
<ararunprasad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to see the graphics output of Raspberry Pi without using
> expensive h/w setup. I have only laptop & don't have TV/Monitor.
>
> I thinking to have below solutions,
>
> 1. Using VNCServer - But Debian Squeeze doesn't come with vncserver by
> default. At-least to install vncserver I should have monitor/tv. If ip
> address is known then we can SSH into the board to install & setup
> vncserver, else console must be routed via UART(which GPIO pin to use).

Use a zeroconf setup. I've posted about this on my blog, but that
entry is in portuguese:
http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2012/12/bonjour-zeroconf-avahi.html

Translation in english by google, clear enough to understand:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fraspberry-python.blogspot.com%2F2012%2F12%2Fbonjour-zeroconf-avahi.html&act=url

Of course, to ssh the first time, you'll need to discover your ip
address. You can use a mobile app like Fing, or use a tool on your
computer like nmap, or if you have access to the dns server, check the
MAC addresses that start with:

http://hwaddress.com/mac/B827EB-000000.html

> 2. Running XServer on laptop & making the Apps running on Raspberry to use
> the remote XServer. Again it needs a solution like #1.

The sidekick mode:
http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2012/09/sidekick.html

http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2012/09/sidekick-2.html

You can also use IPV6 and skip an external DNS. That way you connect
with cat5 the laptop and the Pi. Combined with zeroconf, and you are
set.

> 3. HDMI to USB - I can't able to find the proper solution/software/hardware.
> What I'm thinking is to convert the HDMI signal to USB & displaying it on
> the laptop.

I have used a usb tuner with video in, I connect through composite. I
dont know of any HDMI solution.

You could also pick up a Motorola Atrix lapdock and skip the laptop.
Think I had paid $50 for mine:
http://raspberry-python.blogspot.com/2012/10/risc-laptop-cables-cabos.html

Francois
--