[Raspbian-devel] Raspberry Pi build farm

peter green plugwash at p10link.net
Wed Nov 6 23:37:42 UTC 2013

Robie Basak wrote:
> Interested to see
> http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-raspberry-pi-build-cluster-for-ubuntu

MMM
> Raspbian already does exactly what want to do, but for Debian. You could
> probably sync with them on techniques, since I think it'd be pretty much
> identical for you except that you'd get your source packages from Ubuntu
> instead of Debian. Perhaps even share the build farm? I think they use
> other ARM builders though - not Raspberry Pi. You can use ARMv7 but just
> use a toolchain that defaults to building for ARMv6.

Just to let you know we at raspbian do not build on Pis for several reasons.

1: We bootstrapped the port by "working downwards" from debian armhf.
That meant that during the bootstrap process we needed machines that
could run armv7 code.
2: Pi's have no good storage interfaces. SD cards SERIOUSLY SUCK at
random writes and are therefore basically a nonstarter for buildd swap
and scratch space. USB can work ok sometimes but it doesn't have the
worlds best reputation for either performance or stability. Trying to
use the USB based ethernet on the Pi will probablly be even worse than
using a USB hard drive. Your plan does not seem to address what you plan
to do about build swap and scratch space.
3: Pi's are SERIOUSLY short on ram. Some of the more bloated packages
take days to link with 1GB of ram (and a load of swap on a SATA hard
drive), I dread to think how long they would take with half or a quarter
of a gig. We insisted on at least 2GB for our second generation of
autobuilders for a reason (we would have liked more but prices on arm
hardware with more than 2GB of ram are crazy high). Unfortunately some
of those bloated packages are also critical parts of the dependency web.
4: Pi's were not readilly available when we started the project (it's
kinda crazy actually, Mike and I started the project before either of us
owned a Pi).

If your goal is to produce a sustainable port with timely updates then I
would strongly reccomend getting yourself a smaller number of faster arm
boards with 2GB of ram and hard drives. We use wandboard quads for
raspbian jessie, there may be faster options out there (for example the
odriod XU) but as yet they seem to be relatively unproven.
> One of the Raspbian guys who does much of the porting work is local to
> Manchester. His name's Peter Green.

Honestly there has been virtually no "real porting", it's mostly things
like hacking arround stupid build failures or packages that assume armv7
or inconsistencies in the current dependency web (both binary and build).
> I thought it would be useful to connect you all, so I've copied in Ben,
> Liz and Peter.
Can you please not use my university email address for such purposes, I
know I accidently send stuff from it sometimes but i'd rather not have
it clogged up with stuff like this.