[Raspbian-devel] Proper way for vendors to build deb packages of kernels.

peter green plugwash at p10link.net
Sat Dec 6 02:47:29 UTC 2014

Jared_Dominguez at DELL.com wrote:
> What differences are there from Debian's kernel that preclude using
> DKMS? What do you mean by "does not generally integrate with Debian stuff?
Well AIUI Debian kernel packages have

* a corresponding headers package
* Some kind of hook mechanism to integrate with tools like bootloaders
and dkms.

Right now the raspberry pi founation kernel is packaged together with
their bootloader and has none of those things. I'm trying to help them
get to a point where they have more sane kernel packaging but I'm trying
to work out what the best way to get to that point is.

I'd also really like to see the source shipped in the form of a debian
source package and properly associated with the binary packages as that
makes tracking source for license compliance so much easier.

Unfortunately it seems that the main methods for building deb packages
from an arbitary kernel tree ("make deb-pkg" and "make-kpkg") don't seem
to have any support for creating a corresponding source package (and
ensuring that the binary packages correctly reference said source package).