[Raspbian-devel] Raspberry Pi to Linux (Ubuntu) via USB

Stian Skjelstad stian at barnfind.no
Tue Dec 20 08:22:31 UTC 2016

(Please use reply-All, so that the reply it sent to the list)

> Thank you for that explanation.  My knowledge in the area of
> networking is limited.
>
> One of the problems may be that ip and ethernet addresses are
> changing with each reboot. That's probably a reason for using avahi
> to negotiate the connection.

Per default, the automated ipv6 link-local address will be the same at
every boot (It uses the MAC/HW-address to generate it).

> Also with Ubuntu, Network Manager is getting in the middle of things.
>
> Finally, I've just read that the workaround putting a file named ssh
> in /boot may remove the file after booting. (I'll try to confirm this)
> Deleting the /boot/ssh file that enables ssh on the first boot may mean
> there is a precise set of steps that must be followed in order to get
> the zero configured for continued use via ssh.

If you can ssh to the PI card from Windows and OS-X, then the PI card is
working. Try first to ssh manually, as you tried earlier, but you need to
fill in the correct IPv6 address.

> There have been changes in this area in rasperian in recent releases and
> the release notes may hold some clues.  I'll go read them.  I'll also
> try earlier versions of Ubuntu and rasperian and see if any of them
> works any better. Open source is such a moving target!
>
> > The mdns/avahi part I can not answer for, since I have never
> > used it.
> > But you claim that it should work, since windows and os-x computers
> > automatically can fint the PI card, so it is something with the ubuntu
> > desktop machine that has the issue. Which avahi/mdns packages do you
> > have installed, and are the daemon running?
>
> I will research mdns/avahi and get back to the list after the holiday,
> probably with more questions.  I'm sure this can all be explained and
> solved, but it will take some work.

If you run
dpkg -l|grep avahi
and
dpkg -l|grep mdns
on the ubuntu machine, it will list all packages installed that contains
avahi or mdns in its name.

Looking at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToZeroconf , either
avahi-daemon or mdnsresponder needs to be installed (and running) in order
for zeroconfig name resolving to work.

--
Stian Skjelstad
Barnfind Technologies