[Raspbian-devel] Update to Kernel 5.14 problems

Hans Petersen hpetersenlg at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 16 09:31:50 BST 2021

Hi, everyone,

I'm currently trying to create a kernel for the RASPI-4b using
cross-compilation.
The reason for this is that I want to use a current real-time kernel from
the EVL-project (XENOMAI-4).

I am following the tutorial, i.e.

- clone, defconfig_bcm2711, make ....
- copy kernel (zImage), dtb-files, overlay-folder to '/boot' on sd-card.
- copy kernel modules to '/lib/modules' ext4 file system on sd-card.
- add kernel=zImage to 'config.txt' on sd-card.

The kernel version of the original image is 5.10.17 (ISO image).

The hardware I use is a RASPI-4b with LCD and a Raspi CM4-IO-BOARD with
HDMI touch display.

When I do this with kernel version 5.10.52 from the repository, everything
works as expected.

With all newer kernel versions (5.11.xx - 5.14.xx) the system hangs when
booting.

After the following output, nothing happens on the serial console.

         Starting Load Kernel Modules...
[  OK  ] Started Journal Service.
[  OK  ] Started Restore / save the current clock.
[    6.039776] i2c /dev entries driver
[  OK  ] Mounted RPC Pipe File System.
[  OK  ] Mounted POSIX Message Queue File System.
[  OK  ] Started Set the console keyboard layout.
[  OK  ] Started Create list of req… nodes for the current kernel.
[  OK  ] Mounted Kernel Debug File System.
[  OK  ] Started Load Kernel Modules.
         Starting Apply Kernel Variables...
         Mounting Kernel Configuration File System...
         Starting File System Check on Root Device...
[  OK  ] Started Apply Kernel Variables.
[  OK  ] Mounted Kernel Configuration File System.
[  OK  ] Started File System Check Daemon to report status.
[  OK  ] Started udev Coldplug all Devices.
         Starting Helper to synchronize boot up for ifupdown...
[  OK  ] Started File System Check on Root Device.
[  OK  ] Started Helper to synchronize boot up for ifupdown.
         Starting Remount Root and Kernel File Systems...
[  OK  ] Started Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.
         Starting Create System Users...
         Starting Flush Journal to Persistent Storage...
         Starting Load/Save Random Seed...
[  OK  ] Started Create System Users.
[  OK  ] Started Load/Save Random Seed.
         Starting Create Static Device Nodes in /dev...
[  OK  ] Started Flush Journal to Persistent Storage.
[  OK  ] Started Create Static Device Nodes in /dev.
[  OK  ] Reached target Local File Systems (Pre).
         Starting udev Kernel Device Manager...
[  OK  ] Started udev Kernel Device Manager.
         Starting Show Plymouth Boot Screen...
[  OK  ] Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
[  OK  ] Reached target Local Encrypted Volumes.
[  OK  ] Started Forward Password R…s to Plymouth Directory Watch.
[  OK  ] Found device /dev/ttyS0.

If I delete the kernel modules in '/lib/modules' for the kernel, the system
boots including the GUI.
There is of course a boot message that the kernel modules could not be
loaded.
Network and USB do not work because the corresponding modules cannot be
loaded.

Then I can log in with SSH.

I have the impression that the system hangs up when the display is
activated.
At this point it will turn black.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks