[Resolvconf-devel] [LCFC] templates://resolvconf/{templates}

Thomas Hood jdthood at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 08:56:48 UTC 2008

Christian Perrier wrote:
> This is the last call for comments for the review of debconf
> templates for resolvconf.
>
> The reviewed templates will be sent on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 to the package
> maintainer as a bug report and a mail will be sent to this list with
> "[BTS]" as a subject tag.
>
> Please note the following:
>
> 1) I finally did "s/nameserver/name server". That may be debatable, so
>    please comment

Either is fine with me; we should just be consistent with other Debian
documentation.

One instance was overlooked, noted below, along with some suggestions
for very minor changes.

> 2) I have a doubt for "configurers". ispell complains about it

I appeal to my artistic license in using that word.  :)

> Template: resolvconf/linkify-resolvconf
> Type: boolean
> Default: true
>  The resolvconf package contains the infrastructure required for
>  dynamic updating of the resolver configuration file. Part of the
>  necessary infrastructure is a symbolic link from /etc/resolv.conf to
>  /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf. If you choose this option then this
>  link will be created. The existing /etc/resolv.conf file will be

   link will be created; the existing /etc/resolv.conf file will be

>  preserved as /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/original, and will be
>  restored if this package is removed.
>  .
>  Declining this option will prevent future installations from

    Note that declining this option will prevent future installations from

>  recreating the symbolic link and therefore the resolver configuration
>  file will not be dynamically updated. Dynamic updating can then be
>  activated following instructions in the README file.
>  .
>  The presence of resolvconf can affect the behavior of other programs,
>  so it should not be left installed if unconfigured.
>
> Template: resolvconf/downup-interfaces
> Type: note
>  Once resolvconf is installed, interface configurers supply name server
>  information to it (which it then makes available to the C library resolver
>  and to DNS caches). However, they do this only when they bring up interfaces.
>  Therefore for resolvconf's name server information to be up to date after
>  initial installation it is necessary to reconfigure interfaces (that is,
>  to take them down and then to bring them up again) and to restart
>  DNS caches.
>
> Template: resolvconf/link-tail-to-original
> Type: boolean
> Default: false
>  If the original static resolver configuration file (/etc/resolv.conf)
>  contains name server addresses, those addresses should be listed on
>  "dns-nameservers" lines in /etc/network/interfaces as described in the
>  README file.
>  .
>  Until /etc/network/interfaces has been edited and the affected
>  interfaces brought down and up again, the nameservers addresses will

   interfaces brought down and up again, the name server addresses will

>  not be included in the dynamically generated resolver configuration
>  file.
>  .
>  If you choose this option, a temporary workaround will be put in
>  place: a symbolic link will be created (if it does not already exist)
>  from /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail to
>  /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/original. This will cause the whole of
>  that original resolver configuration file to be appended to the
>  dynamically generated file.
>  .
>  After the required "dns-nameservers" lines have been added to
>  /etc/network/interfaces, the /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail link
>  should be replaced by one to /dev/null.

Cheers,
--
Thomas Hood