[sane-devel] plustek_pp backend doesn't like my parport scanner anymore

Vlado Plaga news@vlado-do.de
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 19:15:22 +0200

...now it's working again. :-)

The long version:

The parallel port mode probably was the main problem:

when I just load the parport_pc module without parameters (which seems
to work fine), the scanner detection fails when I'm trying to load the
respective kernel module for my scanner (plustek_pp), as described in my
previous eMail. But detection works when I load parport_pc like this:

modprobe parport_pc irq=7 io=0x378

Or automatically by adding the following lines to /etc/modutils/scanner
and performing an "update-modules":

options parport_pc irq=7 io=0x378

Now the next big problem, aside from the known incompatibility between
different driver and backend versions (which really annoyed me, because
I tried to revert to the last working backend/module), was that
apparently the "direct" mode in the latest SANE did not work for my
scanner (distorded previews, black scans) and I did not even know SANE
was using the direct mode instead of the module - my configuration file
/etc/sane.d/plustek_pp was not honoured. That was because the
beforementioned incompatibility problem forced me to "recompile SANE AND
the driver" (Plustek-PARPORT.txt in the SANE documentation), instead of
using sane binaries from my distribution, so the configuration files
SANE reads now are in /usr/local/etc/...

All this was not easy to figure out, but I still thing the SANE
programmers have made a good job. Thanks to all of you!

Vlado