[sane-devel] Re: [ANN]: Support for Canon D660U added

Oscar A. Valdez oscar@valdez-bicard.com.sv
Sat, 15 May 2004 21:23:40 -0600

El s=E1b, 15-05-2004 a las 21:03, Oscar A. Valdez escribi=F3:
> On April 4, Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> > I've currently added the support for the Canon D660 scanner to th=
> > Plustek backend. You'll find it in the CVS of sane-project.org.
> >=20
> > Currently only the color modes are working. TPA and gray-mode sup=
port
> > are of bad quality, binary mode is not working...
> > But anyway - it's a starting point ;-)
>=20
> I've owned a CanoScan D660U for a long, frustrating while, not bein=
> able to use it in Linux. I just installed sane-backends 1.0.14, and=
 am
> thrilled that itcan now scan from its flatbed.
>=20
> However, scanning from the built-in 35mm film adapter doesn't work =
(or I
> haven't figured out how yet). The film adapter should work with a
> backlight that's built into the scanner's lid, and should scan at u=
p to
> 1200 x 1200 dpi (which is pretty good for film).
>=20
> Like you said, just having support for the D660U is an (excellent)
> starting point. Do you think we'll eventually have support for its
> built-in 35mm film adapter and backlight? I'd be glad to test and
> provide information, if needed.

Never mind, I just figured it out. It was simply a matter of selectin=
the "Transparency" or "Negative" scan source in the main xsane window=
.
The film adapter and backlight work as they should.

I'll be looking into the quality of images scanned from the adapter. =
My
preliminary impression is that the colors are off balance. But, thank=
for a grat job!
----
Oscar A. Valdez