[sane-devel] Canon DR-4010C

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 18:20:45 UTC 2007

marcus- minor update, plus resend to the list....

On 8/20/07, m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/20/07, Marcus Hufgard (Kalkwerk Hufgard GmbH)
> <Marcus.Hufgard at hufgard.de> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have a new Canon DR4010C. A perfect dokumentscanner :-) !
> >
> > The problem is, that it didn't work unter Linux.
> >
> > Now i want to find out, if a other Scanner driver would work with this
> > modell.
> >
> > I have insert the Canon DR4010C in the Scanner form.
> >
> > Now i have opend the scanner to find out the chipset.
> >
> > The biggest chip on the board has the following label:
> >
> >           MH4-5122
> >           M687M4471
> >           KOREA
> >           D634         X02
> >                              E1
> >

> > The second chip on the board has this label:
> >
> >           6417144F50V
> >           SH2
> >                                   D624
> >           BF02963
> >

> > Does anyone know this chipset?
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > I have a little time to work on getting this scanner to run. I can also
> > write C-Code. If you have an idea what to to on that, please let me know.

i have been in communication with canon for months to get the
interface docs for the DR series. they are quite slow, i dont know if
it will ever happen, because their legal dept. is concerned about the
source code being released. this morning, i had a long conversation
with a member of their US staff, who is working to get some of the
docs in my hands. Even when i get the docs, i will not have much time
for volunteer programming work, as i dont have or need one of these
machines. so why am i trying to get the docs? 'because it was there'
:)

but, the scanners are scsi, so they should use a reasonable protocol.
it should be possible to copy one of the existing scsi/usb backends
(say, fujitsu) and modify it to work.

without docs, you will have a hard time supporting all the vendor
specific features, but basic scanning should be possible.

allan