[sane-devel] FIXED! Thanks! Re: root gets correct 'scanimage -L' results, but user does not, even if I hack permissions

Rusty Carruth rustycjobs at descomp.com
Tue Mar 25 03:24:58 UTC 2008

Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:29:09 -0700 Rusty Carruth <rustyc at descomp.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> If I chmod the scanner device in /proc/bus/usb to 666 I still get the
>> same results from scanimage as user.
>>
>> Also, no matter what I try in /etc/udev, I get permissions 644 for the
>> device associated with the SM3600.  Here's udev:
>>

> I believe that udev is setting permissions on /dev/bus/usb/* and not in /proc/bus/usb/*
> I also think libusb is using the /dev/bus/usb/* paths in order to access devices. Please check access rights there.
> [...]

Ah, yes, exactly!  (duh!)

Thank you!  That fixed it!  As a normal user:

rusty at rcdesk:~$ /orig/usr/bin/scanimage -L
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname BT878 video (ATI TV-Wonder VE)
virtual device
device `sm3600:libusb:001:005' is a Microtek ScanMaker 3600 flatbed scanner
rusty at rcdesk:~$ xsane

I'd suggest fixing the doc to mention /dev/bus, but instead
I'll put doing it myself into the list of things I need to do
One Of These Days Real Soon Now.

rc