[sane-devel] Patch to make XSane work with SANE 1.1

stef stef.dev at free.fr
Sat Oct 11 12:08:53 UTC 2008

Le Friday 10 October 2008 12:08:40, vous avez écrit :
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> >> So please increment V_MAJOR in configure.in to 2. You're breaking
> >> everyone's system without that, and you're going to seriously piss off
> >> distributors too (me first).
> >
> > When i suggested this months ago, you swore that a soversion bump was
> > out of the question. We've not changed our target since that time, why
> > the change of heart on your end?
>
> It's changing the behaviour of sane_start() in an incompatible way,
> which will either break frontends (automated scans are obviously more
> affected) or require patching those frontends that are the more
> exposed.
>
> It's a bad idea, it shouldn't be done this way, and that's the point.
>
> JB.

	Hello,

	frontends will have to be changed to benefit from the improvements in the new SANE
version. These changes are small, and the sane-frontends package give a sample
implementation. Frontend developers will find help here if they need.
	It is good you raise the issue of the soname before the first SANE 1.1 release is out.
Since you think the changes deserve a new soname, why not bump it to 2.0 . However I lack
the experience in such area, and I'd like to ear from other SANE developers.
	This would have also the nice effect to stick with what the SANE 1.0 states regarding
this issue. However we'll have to stress out this new version is just an evolution, not a
complete change.

Regards,
	Stef