[sane-devel] Noob with multiple imaging devices

Dan Morton morton at rad.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 24 02:37:09 UTC 2009

I've got a PCI ATI All-in-Wonder video digitizer card, and a new Epson
V30 scanner.  lspci -vv says this about the ATI:

11:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
Capture (rev 02)
	Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc Device 0003
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 132 (4000ns min, 10000ns max)
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20
	Region 0: Memory at fc800000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Kernel driver in use: bttv
	Kernel modules: bttv

When I launch XSane, it scans for devices, and preferentially chooses
the All-in-Wonder.  Upon exit, it creates a drc file with this name:

Noname:BT878video(ATITV-WonderVE).drc

Here are the contents:

"XSANE_DEVICE_RC"
"Noname:BT878 video (ATI TV-Wonder VE)"
"xsane-version"
"0.996"
"mode"
"Gray"
"channel"
"Television"
"brightness"
128
[snip]

I presume I want to create another drc file I can choose (Preferences ->
load device settings) that describes the V30 -- but, what should the
contents be?  The contents of the ATI drc bears little semblance to the
information in the lspci output.  What is it in the drc that XSane uses
to choose the device?

For completeness, I follow with the lsusb -vv for the V30.

adTHANKSvance,
Dan

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04b8:0131 Seiko Epson Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass       255 Vendor Specific Subclass
  bDeviceProtocol       255 Vendor Specific Protocol
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x04b8 Seiko Epson Corp.
  idProduct          0x0131
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 EPSON
  iProduct                2 EPSON Scanner
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower                2mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval             255
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval             255
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass       255 Vendor Specific Subclass
  bDeviceProtocol       255 Vendor Specific Protocol
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered