[sane-devel] Unsupported device: Canon MF4018

Steve Hardy steve at appliedrealtime.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 18:13:47 UTC 2009

Ok, thanks for the clarification, I discovered that there was a duplicate
/etc/sane.d directory in /usr/etc.  I ran the sane "make install" to
overwrite my installed sane library, which probably explains it - I have now
removed the original sane package completely, then reinstalled from CVS and
my scanner still hangs up.

The steps I see are :

1 - Start scanimage -T
2 - Scan head moves to the "start scan" position
3 - Scan head cycles through colours (light on/off)
4 - Scan head starts scan pass, but then stops about 1/3 of the way accoss
the page.
5 - Scan head returns to "start scan" position
6 - Scanner is unresponsive (returns -ETIMEDOUT to everything) until USB
cable is removed and replaced or scanner is power cycled.

I have taken usb sniffs from windows and I can't spot any significant
differences, but comparing the usbsniff format with the usbmon capture is
pretty difficult.

When I have more time I plan to hack the usbsniff code so it will output in
a format that's diffable with usbmon, and put some more debug into scanimage
to try and spot where the problem occurs.

2009/2/25 Gleb Baryshev <gleb.baryshev at gmail.com>

> Steve Hardy wrote:
> > I have similar problems to this with the pixma backend and a Canon
> > MF4660 - only my MFP *always* returns the -ETIMEOUT response after
> > moving the scan head to the end of the panel in preparation for the scan.
>
> I can't yet define exactly what actions hang up my scanner. At least,
> when I scan continuously, using the same program, all work well.
> By the way, successful scanning adds three lines like this to the kernel
> ring buffer:
> usb 1-1: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'xsane' sets config #1
> (or 'scanimage' instead of 'xsane')
>
> Dennis Lou wrote:
> > If you keep reading, Gleb solved his problem by manually removing his old
> version of sane prior to re-installing a fresh CVS version (apparently
> automated package removal wasn't doing a complete job).   Perhaps that will
> also solve your problem being that you two are experiencing similar things?
>
> Actually, removing of old files was aimed to solve a problem when
> scanimage and xsane could only be run from /usr/local/etc/sane.d (i.e.
> scanimage couldn't find the scanner, but after 'cd
> /usr/local/etc/sane.d' it could). At first it helped, but after reboot
> only xsane could run from anywhere. This isn't a big problem, but the
> fact remains.
>
> Gleb
>
> --

Steve Hardy