[sane-devel] HP officejet: access scanner over the network, mini how-to

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Fri Feb 27 02:43:04 UTC 2009

Hello List,

A month or so ago I initiated a discussion here about accessing my
networked HP OfficeJet Pro L7500. I could print but not scan. Now I have
managed to do the scanning just fine, I'm posting this here hoping that
other people can take advantage of it. It is kind of like a mini how-to
for this kind of printer/scanner all-in-ones.

The network: a server (Debian Lenny), two workstations (Mandriva Linux
2009), and the printer, all connected to the same subnet
(192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0).

As mentioned here before, when setting up the printer in CUPS should
allow sane to also find it. This is true, if the printer is set up as
follows:
- go to the CUPS server's admin page ( https://localhost:631/admin ) and
click "add printer", and enter the name and so.
- Device: select "HP Printer (HPLIP)" (of course you must have the hplip
package installed)
- Device URI: hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7500?ip=192.168.2.9 (do not use ipp
or socket or so: the printing will work fine that way, but scanning not!
This is where it went wrong for me.), replacing the name and IP address
for your printer.

That way sane will be able to find your scanner directly on the server
where CUPS is installed:
$ scanimage -L
device `hpaio:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7500?ip=192.168.2.9' is a
Hewlett-Packard Officejet_Pro_L7500 all-in-one

Then if saned is installed properly, you should also be able to find the
scanner automatically on the work stations. My Mandriva 2009
workstations give this result:
$ scanimage -L
device `net:192.168.2.1:hpaio:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7500?ip=192.168.2.9'
is a Hewlett-Packard Officejet_Pro_L7500 all-in-one

And finally if you are using xsane, you can approach the scanner
directly using this command line option (you must have libsane-hpaio
installed on the workstation for this to work):
xsane hpaio:/net/Officejet_Pro_L7500?ip=192.168.2.9

I really hope this is useful, thanks for all on this list for the
pointers given in the discussion. This has been quite helpful getting it
all to work, and then finding the final solution.

Wouter.