[sane-devel] Problem with HP ScanJet 4p and SCSI

David Brant brantosaurus at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 5 21:24:12 UTC 2009

Hello Dieter

Many thanks for the reply. Hopefully (like me) you find the best
holidays are away from the internet :-)

It tried your suggestions and got the following log

-----------------------------------
david at david-desktop:~$ scanimage -L

david at david-desktop:~$ sudo chmod 0666 /dev/sg2
[sudo] password for david:
david at david-desktop:~$ ls -l /dev/sg2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 21, 2 2009-06-05 21:09 /dev/sg2
david at david-desktop:~$ scanimage -L
device `hp:/dev/sg2' is a Hewlett-Packard C1130A flatbed scanner
-----------------------------------

Xsane then worked, and i successfully scanned an image  :-)
Unfortunately on rebooting Xsane still does not detect the scanner and
everything was as before :-(

On this particular installation i am the sole user, and i guess
administrator or super user.

This problem relates to Ubuntu 9.04. Previously using Ubuntu 8.10, i
somehow managed to get things working

I am open to suggestions for further tests :-)

Kind regards

Dave