[sane-devel] 16 bits / color scanning

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Fri Dec 16 07:22:45 UTC 2011

Hello,

On Thursday 15 December 2011 06:40:32 Stef wrote:
> Le mercredi 14 décembre 2011 10:17:38 Kåre Särs a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > While testing the 16 bit features of Skanlite I noticed a problem with
> > endianness. If I scan directly with epson2 on a x86 I get one byte
> > order,
> > but if I do a network scan through saned+epson2 running on a PowerPC I
> > get the other order....
> >
> > Is there a workaround for this?
>
> 	Hello,
>
> 	does this byte inversion problem happen with any frontends ? Like
> scanimage or xsane ?
Yes xsane has the same problem.

> How epson2 running directly on PPC does behave ?
I run scanimage on the PPC and copied the resulting image to my PC, but this
image also had the inversion problem. According to Wikipedia the 'Netpbm PPM
"rawbits" image data' format should be platform independent... I have not
tried to view it over ssh on my headless PPC yet.

> 	According to the SANE standard, the SANE_NET_START RPC sends the byte
> order, which should allow to handle endianess issues.

Regards,
   Kåre