[sane-devel] Translation Instructions

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sun Sep 2 18:11:34 BST 2018

четвер, 16 серпня 2018 р. 20:36:40 EEST Elishai Shkury написано:
> Hello
> I would please like to translate SANE.
> Please provide instructions for translating.
> Thank you,
> Elishai

Hi,

1. The initial data

sane-backends is translated using Gettext PO files. You can edit them manually
(they are just plain text files) but it would be better to use specialized
software. It can be Lokalize, poEdit, GTranslator, OmegaT or Virtaal.

To be synced with the current code you should pull whole sane-backends repo
from gitlab:

https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends

Fork it, clone to your machine or just download the archive (if you are not
planning to update the translation), then do

./configure
cd po
make update-po

Then either translate your locale's .po-file or rename sane-backends.pot into
<your_locale>.po (if there is no <your_locale>.po in the current repo) and
translate it from scratch.

If you have troubles with this procedure just send me a message and I send you
the needed file back.

2. The results

Ready-to-use translation (do not forget to check is validity with "msgfmt -vc
<your_locale>.po") can be submitted as gitlab merge request or added to the
bug report on gitlab.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri