[Showme-devel] Fwd: Julia for ARM

Graham Inggs graham at nerve.org.za
Sun Oct 11 11:16:38 UTC 2015

On 2 September 2015 at 15:40, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> Quoting Graham Inggs (2015-09-02 13:44:57)
>> Do you mean a wishlist bug requesting an ARM build?
>
> Yes.  Or perhaps rather an important bug requesting build on any arch:
> It is wrong¹, I believe, for a package to suppress build on uncommon
> architectures without concrete reasons (e.g. ipossible without ALSA
> which is inherently - the "L" in the name - Linux-only).
>
> Even packages that constantly fail their testsuite on some archs should
> still continue to do so: Maintainers of build daemons may choose to
> blacklist a package to save ressources.
>

> ¹ Arguably an instance of "we won't hide problems" that all Debian
> members have signed into.

I haven't had much luck convincing the Debian maintainer of this, see
bugs #799036 and #799099.
Julia 0.4.0 has now been released [1] and includes better support for
arm and ppc.
I'll pursue this further once 0.4.0 has been packaged.

In the meantime, I have succeeded in building julia 0.3.11 on armhf by
cherry-picking patches from 0.4.0 and pushing some of my own [2].
The build succeeded on a Jetson TK1 board [3], but currently fails on
my LIME (not LIME2) board with 'g++: internal compiler error: Killed
(program cc1plus)'.

Fortunately, the binary package built on the Jetson installs and runs
on the LIME, see attached screenshot.
I've made the source and binary packages available [4], and those who
only want to experiment with the binary package can try the following:

$ wget http://rrsg.ee.uct.ac.za/julia-arm/julia_0.3.11-1ubuntu2~ppa7_armhf.deb
# apt-get install julia_0.3.11-1ubuntu2~ppa7_armhf.deb
# apt-get install -f

[1] https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/releases
[2] https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/pull/13163
[3] https://developer.nvidia.com/jetson-tk1