[Showme-devel] ShowMeBox - mining focus?

Siri Reiter siri at jones.dk
Fri Feb 5 13:12:01 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 02/04/2016 12:49 PM, Bernelle Verster wrote:
> Hi Kris
>
> I originally did not consider a partnership with Unearthed, but I am
> chatting to them about potential opportunities for partnership. I was
> more thinking about using the format, and perhaps having mining relating
> datasets.
> My biggest challenge is how to approach the data, make it accessible to
> high school learners, and having people who understand the context to
> help the learners.
>
> So I've defaulted to what I know about, and what I love: water.
>
> We could have several data sets, say, 5, like the Unearthed Hackaton
> has, but focused on different sectors, that caters to different interests.
>
> I've mentioned the mining, we have a mining related water pollution
> problem in South Africa. I still need to talk to Dee about options here.
>
> Then I am busy with a river water project, and they are using open
> source data gathering to measure the flows in the Bergriver in the
> Western Cape.
> Here we are thinking to make 24hours worth of data, for 4 related sites
> available, for a few parameters including flow and conductivity. From
> this limited set, learners can show how one site changes over the day,
> how different sites are different...
> We have a professor for this, Prof Kevin Winter, and his students to
> assist with questions and contextualising.
>
> I think we could easily find a few more interesting samples, for
> example, I know of an instrument measuring the chlorophyl content in
> algae that is now used in marine applications. At least one metro data
> set from City of Cape Town.
>
> The advantage of these is that we can market them easily, people outside
> of the IT sector may be interested in this, and because it is targeted
> at high schools, it is simple enough to get anyone interested and we
> know people to help with the technical aspects (the biology, the mining etc)
>
> How does this sound? Are people happy with this approach?

You have strong points, and limiting the data areas is one way to
simplify the challenge, but let's make sure to give the freedom (and
stimulation) to pick your own subject as well.

We do need help framing the challenge to the students. However, I'd be
more excited to partner with a team of local college or high school
teachers than a company. But let's keep an open mind (+eyes and ears).

I wish you happy hacking this weekend! Explore the possibilities and
share the inspiration.

-Siri