[Showme-devel] ShowMeBox poster at DebConf16

Siri Reiter siri at jones.dk
Mon Jun 20 09:59:04 UTC 2016

Hi Bernelle, thanks, wow, that was fast!

On 06/20/2016 11:26 AM, Bernelle Verster wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Siri Reiter <siri at jones.dk> wrote:
>> On 06/13/2016 09:35 PM, Bernelle Verster wrote:
>>> As Graham said, while all the info about the ShowMeBox is on the
>>> Debian wiki, it's hard to see what it is exactly that we are doing,
>>> and why. Would it be possible to design a poster, something simple
>>> that can be used for multiple things in future, possibly, to display
>>> at DebConf16?
>>
>> I imagine a small box with a chaos of graphs floating, spewing or
>> exploding out of it.
>>
>> Any suggestions to how to get fresh examples?
>
> My preference is from this site: https://d3js.org/
> Or even the information is beautiful site:
> http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/

Beautiful!

> The obvious challenge is that these were not explicitly made using the
> ShowMeBox, I don't know how e.g. Jonas would feel about using them?
> It should be fairly straightforward to get in touch with the website
> people to ask for images and the appropriate licensing - I can help
> with that.

Ideally we use examples from free software only. But the imagery is just
examples of types of graphs. They should maybe even be stripped down to
pattern-like ornaments.

> Alternative, or in addition, there is an 'svg crowbar' that exports
> the dynamic visualisations as svg files, see here:
> https://gist.github.com/mbostock/6466603
>
> I used this one, the version 2: http://nytimes.github.io/svg-crowbar/

Uh, too complicated for me already. ;-)

>> Since Showmebox is not tied to Beaker Notebook, there might be other
>> examples accessible out there. Any pointers?
>>
>> The most convenient format to work with would be svg - vector graphics.
>
> I have made Sankey diagrams like this one for my PhD:
> https://bost.ocks.org/mike/sankey/ and I understand it well enough to
> adapt it to size etc needs, so we can play with this type of graph to
> get a perfect one for your poster, and the licence then won't be an
> issue. I can *try* to do this on Graham's Julia, which should be easy
> as it's a .json file, a .html file and I use python to run it on
> localhost...
>
> I can send you my files if you want to play, but tutorials are also available:
>
> Interactive Data Visualization for the Web
> Scott Murray
> http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1230000000345/index.html
>
> D3 Tips and Tricks: Interactive Data Visualization in a Web Browser
> Malcolm Maclean
> https://leanpub.com/D3-Tips-and-Tricks

Nice.
This time I don't want to make graphs myself. Make up data etc - it's
all too complex and time consuming. You are certainly welcome to feed me
graphs, only I imagine you have a lot on our hands already ...

I'm going with Jonas' suggestion and focus on the composition. Graphs
can be interchangeable, so less ideal ones can maybe be switched with
better.

Tick-tock ...

-Siri

--