[Showme-devel] ShowMeBox poster at DebConf16

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Jun 20 11:05:07 UTC 2016

Quoting Bernelle Verster (2016-06-20 11:26:33)
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Siri Reiter <siri at jones.dk> wrote:
>> On 06/13/2016 09:35 PM, Bernelle Verster wrote:
>>> As Graham said, while all the info about the ShowMeBox is on the
>>> Debian wiki, it's hard to see what it is exactly that we are doing,
>>> and why. Would it be possible to design a poster, something simple
>>> that can be used for multiple things in future, possibly, to display
>>> at DebConf16?
[...]
>> I have no experience with graphs like I see here:
>> https://pub.beakernotebook.com/publications/featured.
>>
>> I therefore have to use images from the online documentation for
>> Beaker Notebook. Imagining the licensing will allow us to use them,
>> they would still be the same graphs that have been circulating for a
>> while, and anyone interested will find them first thing, when diving
>> in. Thats' not cool.
>>
>> Any suggestions to how to get fresh examples?
>
> My preference is from this site: https://d3js.org/
> Or even the information is beautiful site:
> http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/
>
> The obvious challenge is that these were not explicitly made using the
> ShowMeBox, I don't know how e.g. Jonas would feel about using them?

Good point (generally - not your kind tying my name to purism).

As I see it, a poster can include imaginary and/or real parts.

Drawing a dragon spewing out spirals is fine (even though dragons are
not Open Data nor Free Software packaged for Debian), but presenting a
screendump of an IBM TensorFlow or Beaker Notebook is bad, as that gives
the impression our project is about whatever visualizations, not Free
and Open ones.

That said, my recommendation to Siri is to initially grab *whatever* as
the graphical equivalence of "Lorem ipsum" text.

Also, others please do speak up if you disagree with me!

[geeky programming details, valuable in another thread, snipped]

> I can send you my files if you want to play, but tutorials are also
> available:

Please do share stuff you've produced yourself, Bernelle.  That is
likely far better than stuff grabbed on a website somewhere: You being
author eases licensing (I assume :-) ) and even if not done with Debian
tools and Open Data it is still valuable for mockup work and for more
artistic representations.

 - Jonas