[Soc-coordination] Deciding on our applications

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sat Apr 7 00:26:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 03:45:53AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> As a first pass (after removing some dupes), I came up with the following
> categories: (one x per application, one line per topic)
>  1. cd tester               (16 applications) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  2. security                (15 applications) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  3. website                 (13 applications) xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  4. piuparts, u/g testing    (7 applications) xxxxxxx
>  5. emdebian/embedded        (5 applications) xxxxx
>  6. user2user communication  (5 applications) xxxxx
>  7. livecd                   (4 applications) xxxx
>  8. debbugs                  (4 applications) xxxx
>  9. openid                   (3 applications) xxx
> 10. apt-checkpoint           (3 applications) xxx
> 11. biometric auth           (3 applications) xxx
> 12. kernel config            (3 applications) xxx
> 13. mirroring                (3 applications) xxx
> 14. cdd toolkit              (2 applications) xx
> 15. i18n/l10n                (2 applications) xx
> 16.                                           x
> 17. misc                     (3 applications) x
> 18.                                           x
> My guess would be we'll probably have a guaranteed slot for each of the
> top four (CDs, security, website, u/g testing), and the others spots
> we get to fight for :) We've got around 18 unique topics; last year we
> ended up with 10 slots, iirc.

Okay, so this year we've ended up with 9 slots by the looks, which is
pretty limited compared to the apps we'd like to accept... I figure
we'll want to do a final reranking based on:

	- how useful the project is
	- how necessary it is to have the project as a SoC app
	- how well prepared the student appears to be
	- how helpful the mentor's going to be
	- how likely the project is to succeed

If students or mentors would like to take the opportunity to add any extra
comments to apps over the weekend showing any progress that's been made
on the app or working with the mentor or similar since initial submission,
that'd probably be helpful.

Cheers,
aj