[Soc-coordination] DGSOC idea and discussion

Fred Concklin fredconcklin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 19:15:13 UTC 2011

Hey all,

         I'm Fred Concklin. I'm interested in working for Debian during
         GSOC2011. I'm a junior at Hampshire College; I study CS (AI);
         I'm 21; I've been running GNU/Linux for 10 years.

         My particular area of interest is in mobile devices. I know
         that there was a request to work on the OpenMoko NeoFreerunner
         last year, but I haven't seen any mobile requests (other than
         virtualizing arm) this year.

         I have an OpenMoko NeoFreerunner with Debian on it but my basic
         feeling about the project is that it is more or less dead
         (please correct me if wrong). More recently, I've been working
         on the OpeniBoot project to get Android on the iPad. I built
         and ran Android successfully on the iPad in November. I've also
         had Debian running in a chroot jail on my HTC dream with
         CyanogenMod.

         I'm in the market for a new phone and I've been looking at the
         Motorola Atrix. One thing which I thing is interesting is the
         lapdock. I'd like to work on getting Debian running on the
         Motorola Atrix and work on usability with the device and the
         lapdock.

         I thought I'd run this by the list and see what people
         think. Then I'd like to throw around ideas about the best
         approach. Then I'll submit my application for review,
         moderation, and wait it out in the applicant pool.

         Also, if there are other resources/lists/people to talk to
         please let me know.

         - fpc