[Syslog-ng-maintainers] Changes to the default rsyslog configuration

Michael Biebl biebl at debian.org
Thu Jun 15 13:25:12 BST 2023

Hi providers of system-log-daemon,

when I started packaging rsyslog for Debian I based /etc/rsyslog.conf on
what's been in /etc/syslog.conf at that time (as provided by the no
longer existing sysklogd).

Unfortunately, this also meant, there was a lot of duplication (say mail
messages being logged to 4 different files) and no one could explain to
me, why we had this duplication / particular setup.

I tried to clean that up for rsyslog during the bookworm release cycle.
My guiding principle was to have a single log file containing everything
(minus security sensitive information) and separate log files for
commonly used facilities that are in use as of today.

I ended up with

#
# Log anything besides private authentication messages to a single log file
#
*.*;auth,authpriv.none		-/var/log/syslog

#
# Log commonly used facilities to their own log file
#
auth,authpriv.*			/var/log/auth.log
cron.*				-/var/log/cron.log
kern.*				-/var/log/kern.log
mail.*				-/var/log/mail.log
user.*				-/var/log/user.log

[1] contains a more detailed log of the individual changes.
If you want to apply the same set of rules to your log daemon is
obviously up to you.
I just wanted to give you a heads up, as I think that some consistency
between different syslog implementations within Debian might be beneficial.

Regards,
Michael

[1]
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/rsyslog/-/commits/debian/master/debian/rsyslog.conf