[Xword-devel] Help with user REBUS

Tom Middleton busfault at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 00:32:53 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I am currently working on adding rebus functionality to XWORD. I have
successfully been able to decode the .puz file for both answers and
how user entered squares are saved. I have made a way to enter
multiple letters into one square, however I am having some
difficulties in determining how to make it apparent to the user what
they have entered. I have it show one letter, then two letters, more
than that is first two letters plus ellipsis ('...') I have been
trying to work on making it so that if one hovers above the square,
the "help text" shows the fully entered text. This does not seem to
work and it blips on the screen then vanishes. I have also considered
having a text-box appear instead of typing directly into the square.
Also, as per what is in AcrossLite, it allows symbols to be used for
REBUS (which could be in the REBUS answer key as such.) From what I
have gathered, it appears that the Webdings font is used for these
characters. They are stored as a hex value within [].

I would like some help with figuring out how to add the ability to see
what REBUS has been entered, and with the symbol issue. Also, how/if a
rebus style puzzle should be indicated to the user.

On another note, I have been trying to figure out how all of the
revision control works with this, can someone give me some pointers?
Thanks.

--
Regards,

Tom Middleton