[3dprinter-general] Make Debian rock in the 3d-printing world

Andrea Colangelo warp10 at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 29 09:41:56 UTC 2013

Hi all guys,

it has been a long time since we registered the project and the mailing list
after the discussion we had on the slic3r ITP bug [0], and I really believe we
should power up this effort to make Debian 3d-printer support to be top-notch.

AFAICS, this support right now is quite sorrowful, with lot of core programs not
packaged yet. Other distributions (like Fedora [1]) are in a better position
than we are, and even some non-free OS have quite a good support for
3d-printing. Given the impressive momentum that 3d-printing is having right
now, it's time to make Debian (and its derivatives) a top-tier player.

I'd say we could start checking the status of 3d-printer related packages
(many of them are still {ITP,RFP}), gathering more people interested in this
effort to work with us, setting up a place to host packaging repos, code and
other stuff we need.

Any comment? How's around willing to make Debian rock in the 3d-printing world?

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/3D_Printing

--
Andrea Colangelo                     |   http://andreacolangelo.com
Ubuntu Developer  <www.ubuntu.com>   |   Debian Maintainer  <www.debian.org>