[3dprinter-general] pristine-tar

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Tue Aug 26 16:04:57 UTC 2014

Hello,

I haven't been very active lately, but that should change.  After Cura
was rejected due to nondistributable files, I thought I should use
pristine-tar and so far haven't found what that does exactly, and how
(or even why precisely) I should use it.  This isn't documented on our
wiki-page either, nor was the internet very helpful to me.

So I'm asking here: for a package such as Cura, what would be the
purpose of pristine-tar?  To generate a tarball identical to upstream's,
including non-distributable files, or without them?  Why do I want
whatever it does?  What should I do to use it?

After I understand it, I'll document it on our wiki page.  I think it is
very important that this is well-documented, so that people unfamiliar
with gbp aren't delayed as much as I am with this issue.  (Which isn't
only due to this, but it's a large part of it.  No matter how easy this
may seem, it stops me from starting to work on the package.  I'm sure
I'm not the only one who responds to that by doing other things
instead.)

Thanks a lot,
Bas